This blog was created to serve as an inspiration to all who read it..........to aspire, to love and to live a life of purpose.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

A Second Lease on Life: The Inspirational Story of Melinda Muniz

Hello!

How’s everyone doing? I hope everyone had a splendid Love Day :-). I feel a bit sick this morning..I may be coming down with a cold. Bla! This silly bipolar weather is messing with my body. Mschew! Say a prayer for me….as I drag myself through 3 classes back-to-back today :-)

So! This morning I came across this report on Yahoo that inspired me. As usual, I thought to share with you lovely people.

It’s the inspirational story of 35 year old Melinda Muniz, a mother of four who was diagnosed with Acute Myelogenous Leukemia (cancer of the blood) last spring. Her and her boyfriend of over a decade had been engaged since 2009 but had not set a date yet.

By early summer, Muniz’s situation was dire. According to her, "I was really pale with bags under my eyes. I was fragile and had lost a lot of weight -- even my mother had said, 'Honey, you're not looking so good,'" she said.

Yet, her fiancé stuck it out with her. Infact, he married her in her hospital bed while she was described as being “literally at death’s door” strapped to IV releasing chemotherapy drugs into her vein. Her finance had brought in a priest to conduct the ceremony at her bedside in June.

As luck would have it, in October, Muniz was able to receive a half-match bone marrow transplant which gave her a second chance at life. Last week, looking and feeling strong and heathier, Muniz decided to redo her wedding photos clad in a white gown and away from the hospital. She had no wig on because according to her husband, "She's beautiful just the way she is."

The photographer, Jerry Tomko is a stomach cancer survivor who provided the couple with free services, including a floral bouquet and a limosine. He said his gift to Muniz was as act of giving back because he too was grateful for getting a second lease on life.

Muniz was shocked and appreciative, she said, "There’s no charge? This is free?....It's so amazing there are people out there in the world, willing to do things like that".

Today, Muniz shows no signs of leukemia.

In her own words…"I feel great and I am starting to get my energy back," she said. "I am eating better, have gained weight and am definitely stronger…..I see a lot of patients are on the waiting list now to get bone marrow because they don't have a match….That's very emotional for me. I had a chance…Words can't explain, how I feel about my wedding pictures…..I felt like we were getting married again."
Muniz and husband
 Inspirational lessons learned? What do you spot. I spotted six solid lessons :-) 
  • -       Appreciate who and what you have now….tomorrow is not promised and not everyone gets a second lease on life.
  • -       Give back in gratitude. Help someone in need. As you advance in life, don’t forget to look back and lend a hand.
  • -       Love unconditionally....
  • -       Be grateful for your life and good health….not everyone is so lucky
  • -       Whatever it is you want to do, do it today! Stop procrastinating your happiness. There is rarely an “ideal” time for anything. Take your challenges head-on now in faith. With God, all things are possible.
  • -       MOST IMPORTANTLY, LIVE NOW!
Stay Inspired :-)
*Muniz's full story is here.

No comments: