This blog was created to serve as an inspiration to all who read it..........to aspire, to love and to live a life of purpose.

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Mother's Day Is Every Day!

Happy Sunday Everyone! And to the Nigerian Anglican Mothers, Happy Mother's Day!

I grew up Anglican. So, today is really the day I should be celebrating Mother's day. Here, Mother's day is in May so today is just like any other day for us. If you know me personally, you'd know that Mother's day really doesn't matter to me. I appreciate  my mother every single day of the year. I don't get off the phone without telling her I love her and that I appreciate her. I give her random hugs and random kisses. I tell the world every day she's the best mom on earth. I take her to dinner just because. I make sure she knows every day of her life she's the best thing that happened to me. Just so she knows. I don't want to wait till she's not here anymore. I want her to live knowing I love her.

I learned that lesson because on the day I lost my dad I don't remember if I told him how much I loved and appreciated him. I should've. I can't live in the past trying to decipher whether or not I told him so. All I can do is live in the present making sure not to create room for doubt should a time (long time from now-AMEN) come when she's not here anymore. She is the only living parent I have. So, I want her to know. everyday. That I love her. Don't wait to have only one (or no) living parent. Do it now!
Sometimes, we think, "oh my mother should know.", "I'm sure they know". Maybe they do. But maybe they don't. Or are not so sure. Because as children (and adults), sometimes we give off mixed signals. By our actions, our choices in life and sometimes, life just gets in the way. We don't get to tell them how much we love them. Or that we appreciate them. We get older, and sometimes we run off to start our own lives, forgetting that without our lives actually started when we climbed out of a woman we call mom. So, tell your mom you love and appreciate her. Every day. Just so she knows.
I am not a mother but I can't wait to be. No, I take that back. I can ;-)
From what I've heard its the single most beautiful feeling in the world...well, past the baby and teenager stages. I have been around quite a number of pregnant women and what they go through for 9 months is no joke. I hear your body is never the same (yes all my friends and cousins who are mothers list this as the single most drastic change). Neither is your mind. Neither are your finances. Neither are the way people look at you. Neither is your schedule. Everything about you changes because you're a mother. It's a difficult task.

Its self-sacrifice.

Mother's day shouldn't matter to you. Mother's day should be everyday.
If not for anything else.....Because.....
1. Her body carried your body for 9 months
2. If not for her organs feeding yours, you won't have fully developed
3. You were made from her. She practically "labored" you into the world. One of my friends describes being a mother as an oxymoron. She calls it painful joy. :-/
"God could not be everywhere and therefore he made mothers"
So, until the day someone invents a machine that can successfully carry and nurture a fetus for 9 months, you should love and appreciate your mother EVERY DAY.

To mine, and yours, HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!!.... (P.S.- I'll be saying same in May too :))

And like Porky Pig (Looney Tunes) would say..

That's all folks :-)


No comments: